I love my hair and I have a very good relationship with it, but just like any other relationship, things do go sour sometimes. As you all know, I am a sucker for hair masks and I love to experiment with them, but sometimes experiments turn out to be disastrous, which is exactly what happened last night.
I ran out of treatment last week and I haven’t had time to go get some more, so I decided to make my own treatment in the kitchen. I mixed avocado, plain greek yogurt, honey, flour, olive oil, grapeseed oil, castor oil, coconut oil and cayenne pepper oil. Now I must admit I was a little trigger happy with the cayenne pepper oil. I mixed all the cayenne pepper oil I had left because I was planning to make a new batch. The mix was amazing, it went on beautifully and smelled amazing. I shampooed my hair and slapped the mix on my hair. I kept the stuff in my hair overnight. At around 6 am I was woken up by a strange headache (scalp ache more like) and I knew it had to be the hair mask. I immediately washed my hair with African black soap, conditioned it and combed it as usual. My scalp felt so tender to the touch and weirdly dry. By midday I noticed I was getting scabs on my head. I was actually picking them out of my hair all afternoon.
After evaluating the ingredients in my mask, I think the cayenne pepper did me in this time.I had somehow managed to burn my scalp with cayenne pepper oil. I love how it makes my scalp tingle but I would not leave it on too long.
What hair bloopers have you made?
- Natural Hair:: DIY Deep Conditioner: Yogurt with Cocoa Powder (enjoyingthejourneys.com)
- Spices: beyond the kitchen (aboundingwellness.wordpress.com)
- Is cayenne pepper the same as chilli powder (wiki.answers.com)
- This Weeks Flat Twist and Curl experiment. I like it. 🙂 (nolyenapturallyme.wordpress.com)
- Leave-In Conditioners For Your Luxe Locks, Part I (fabsugar.com)
- Leave-In Conditioners For Your Luxe Locks, Part II (fabsugar.com)
- How do you preserve red chili peppers in oil (wiki.answers.com)
- Natural Tips For Healthy Hair (thinkaboutdis.wordpress.com)